MHG8956 - Cup marked stone, Garden at Lemlair
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP AND RING MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH56SE 12 5764 6217.
In gardens of Lemlair there is an upright cup-marked stone not in situ, which measures 0.9m x 0.2m x 1.3m high. It bears 20 cup-marks and a cup and ring on its SE face, together with several unusually shaped grooves.
The present owner of Lemlair, Mrs. Humphries, could not give any info concerning where stone was found or how it came to form the centre piece of garden rockery. Mrs Humphries has lived here since 1920.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 June 1965.
Cup-marked Stone (NR) (moved) OS 1:10,000, (1971)
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 18 November 1976.
This slab is situated 30m SSW of Lemlair House in an overgrown garden. Its SE face bears some 20 cup marks and a single cup-and-ring mark. RCAHMS 1979, visited 1978
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 18, No. 130 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5764 6216 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12898 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.