MHG8958 - Cup marked stones, Black Hill
2 cup marked stones on the slopes of Black Hill.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH56SE 10 5737 6370 to 5738 6376.
On NE slopes of Black Hill, at 650ft OD., there are 2 cup-marked stones at NH 5737 6370 (A) and NH 57386376 (B).
'A' is a large flat stone, 1.7m x 1m, flush with the ground, with about 40 cup-marks, 1 cup-and-ring mark and 2 cup-marks joined by a groove. This is clearly stone referred to in (PSAS 1912). <1>
'B' is an irregular-shaped boulder, 1.5m long, 0.8m wide and 0.5m high, on which about 15 cup-marks are visible. This may be stone described by Macrae (N Macrae 1923). <2>
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 June 1965.
Cup-marked Rock (NR) (Twice) OS 1:10,000map, (1971)
Stone 'A' has approximately 37 plain cup-marks, 1 cup and ring, one 'dumbell', and concentrated at its N end 10 'scoops' appearing as enlarged cups, sub circular in plan. 2 faint grooves form a cross shape on stone surface. The stones are otherwise as described above.
Visited by OS (J B) 18 November 1976.
Photographs of the cup marked stone were submitted to the HER in 2010 by D Scott. <3>
Photographs of the main cup marked stone were submitted to the HER in January 2011 by John Wombell. <4>
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 17-18, Nos. 125, 126 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<1> PSAS, 1912, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 46 1911-12, p.10-14, 90-3, 177-82, 242-6, 327-43, 372-8, 93 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG627.
<2> MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 339 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
<3> Scott, D, 2010-11, Photographs and information from Douglas Scott (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25031.
<4> Wombell, J, 2011, Photographs of various HER sites (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25170.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 17-18, Nos. 125, 126.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1912. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 46 1911-12, p.10-14, 90-3, 177-82, 242-6, 327-43, 372-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-14, 90-3, 177-82, 242-. 93.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 339.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Wombell, J. 2011. Photographs of various HER sites. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5738 6372 (54m by 94m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12896 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.