MHG8965 - Chambered cairn - Druim Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED ROUND CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
There was a stone circle above the farm of Drumore in the Swordale district. Only one or two stones remain to mark its site.
The cairn was mentioned in 1923 in a publication by N Macrae. <1>
At NH 5788 6614 on a false crest of Druim More ridge above Drumore Farm (named Upper Park on OS 6") are remains of a chambered cairn, much robbed for nearby dykes and depopulated buildings. 3 stones of chamber survive; cairn has been entirely removed leaving a roughly circular area of turf-covered rubble. The chamber was orientated SE. with two slabs measuring 1.5m by 0.9m and 2m by 0.9m, set 1.2m apart; third slab lies almost contiguous to and ESE of latter, and measures 1.4m in length and 0.7m in height. A number of set stones on SE. of cairn perimeter may be kerb stones or part of entrance passage.
The remains though scant suggest an Orkney/Cromarty round cairn with rectangular chamber.
Visited by OS (N K B) 5 November 1970.
Nearby at NH 5786 6614 is a small rock outcrop bearing on its horizontal upper surface about six hollows, two of which at least appear to be cup marks, and others possibly due to weathering, if not weathered cups. Cairn and cup-marked rock
surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (A A) 1 October 1973.
No change. Visited by OS (JB) 8 November 1976.
The chambered cairn was photographed by L A Robertson in 1987 as a part of a wider photographic survey of the SAM. <2>
The site was visited by a member of the RCAHMS in 1979. <3>
The cairn and surrounding area were scheduled in 1991 by Historic Scotland. <4>
Photographs and site report form submitted to the HER by A Clark in 2010; no significant change was recorded. <5>
The chambered cairn was visited and photographed by D Scott in August 2011. <6>
<1> MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 341 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
<2> Robertson, L A, 1987, Chambered cairn - Druim Mor (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG26480.
<3> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 9, No. 25; 18, No. 136 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<4> Historic Scotland, 1991, Entry in the Schedule of Monuments: The Monument known as Drumore, farmstead, field system, chambered cairn and cupmarks (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG26459.
<5> Clark, A, 2010, Highland HER Site Reporting Form: Druim Mór Chambered Cairn (Text/Record Form/Field Recording Form). SHG24801.
<6> Scott, D, 2011, Photographs of Druim Mor Chambered cairn (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG26491.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 341.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Robertson, L A. 1987. Chambered cairn - Druim Mor. B/W Negative. No. Original & digital.
- <3> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 25; 18, No. 136.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 1991. Entry in the Schedule of Monuments: The Monument known as Drumore, farmstead, field system, chambered cairn and cupmarks. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <5> Text/Record Form/Field Recording Form: Clark, A. 2010. Highland HER Site Reporting Form: Druim Mór Chambered Cairn. Unaffiliated. Yes. Digital.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2011. Photographs of Druim Mor Chambered cairn. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5787 6615 (19m by 19m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4945 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4945 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12889 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.