MHG8966 - Stone Circles, Assynt Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
There are two stone circles within a few yards of each other on the slope of the hill, in a wood on Novar Estate above farmhouse of Assynt. They are very dilapidated.
N Macrae 1923
The farmer at Mains of Assynt knew nothing of circles mentioned by N Macrae 1923, nor had he ever seen anything like them, though he had been shooting in all parts of the woods in question. The wooded slopes above farm extend over an area of 200 hectares or more. No further information.
Visited by OS (R D L) 1 May 1963.
No change to previous field report. N Macrae 1923.
Nothing survives of these two 'stone circles'; they may have been hut circles. RCAHMS 1979.
MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 341 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 19, No. 145 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 341.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 19, No. 145.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5900 6700 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12888 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.