MHG8967 - Carn Liath, Chambered Cairn, Upper Park
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH56NE 6 5893 6655.
Carn Liath (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1970)
Carn Liath (Name Book 1875), an Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn, occupies a prominent position on top of a ridge. The site has formerly been planted with trees and enclosed within a circular wall which skirted edge of cairn by a few feet. It has been much robbed and disturbed, but still stands up to 5' or 6' high. It measures 74' x 80', but it has possibly been enlarged by field-gathered stones on S side. Entrance has been from ENE. Nine feet from cairn edge, there is a low stone which is probably N stone of a pair of portal stones at entrance to passage. A large slab, 11'9" to W, also set transversely (though slightly askew) to axis of monument, appears to be N member of another pair of portal stones. To W, near centre of cairn, are remains of chamber, the interior hollowed out but not to ground level. The chamber seems to have been unusually large, about 11' x 15', and the split slabs used for its construction are notable for their size.
A S Henshall 1972 <1>,<2>
As described and planned. Revised at 1/2500. (visited by OS (R D L) 3 May 1976) Visited by OS (A A) 11 November 1970.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 8 November 1976
Photographs were submitted to the HER by a participant on the Community Timeline course run by ARCH. <3>
- --- SHG18234 Image/Photograph(s): Carn Liath. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG18235 Image/Photograph(s): Carn Liath. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG18236 Image/Photograph(s): Carn Liath. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 26.
- <1> SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 59.
- <2> SHG358 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 570-1, ROS 50; plan, 571.
- <3> SHG24858 Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Catriona Fraser.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5893 6655 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4839 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12887 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.