MHG8971 - Farmstead - Druim Mor
An abandoned farmstead at Druim Mor included in a Scheduled Ancient Monument area.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
NH56NE 19 578 661
This extensive area of deserted settlement covers summit of a ridge just NW of chambered cairn NH 56 NE 19 from which much of building has probably been derived. What may be a domestic building, measuring 10m from NE-SW by 6m transversely and of dry-stone construction, stands among numerous enclosures. Visited September 1978. <1>
This deserted settlement is as described by previous authority; generally the remains are in a poor condition.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS 27 February 1981.
An aerial photograph of the site was taken by R Gourlay of Highland Regional Council in 1983. <2>
The site was scheduled by Historic Scotland in 1991. <3>
A farmstead, comprising a partially roofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire & Cromartyshire 1881, sheet lxiv). An unroofed building and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 28 February 1996.
Robertson, L A, 1987, Depopulation - Druim Mor, Evanton (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG26481.
<1> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 35, No. 324 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<2> Gourlay, R B, 1983, Deserted settlement and site of numerous cupmarked rocks, from the north-west (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3782.
<3> Historic Scotland, 1991, Entry in the Schedule of Monuments: The Monument known as Drumore, farmstead, field system, chambered cairn and cupmarks (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG26459.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Robertson, L A. 1987. Depopulation - Druim Mor, Evanton. B/W Negative. No. Original & digital.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 35, No. 324.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: Gourlay, R B. 1983. Deserted settlement and site of numerous cupmarked rocks, from the north-west. B/W Negative. . Original & digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 1991. Entry in the Schedule of Monuments: The Monument known as Drumore, farmstead, field system, chambered cairn and cupmarks. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5780 6614 (12m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4945 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4945 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12882 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.