MHG8972 - Cup markings on a stone in a wall - Druim Mor, Swordale
A cup marked stone which has been incorporated into a field wall. In D Scotts 2012 survey of the area this stone in number two.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH56NE 18 576 659.
NH 576 659. Cup-marked Stone, Swordale: There are 24 cup-markings on exposed face of this slab which is now built into a field-wall. The slab measures 0.8m by 0.5m; the cup-markings measure up to 70 mm in diameter by 20 mm in depth.
RCAHMS 1979, visited 1978. <1>
The stone was photographed by a member of the Highland Regional Council in the 1980s. <2>
Cup-marked stone at NH 5764 6594 is as described above, situated at the wall base on the SW side.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J B) 24 Feburary 1981.
The stone was photographed during a photographic survey of multiple cup mark stones at Druim Mor by L A Robertson, a member of the Highland Regional Council in August 1987. <3> <4> <5>
The stone was also photographed by R B Gourlay in 1987 as a part of the survey undertaken at that time. <6>
The stone was photographed by A Clark in 2010 whilst he was visiting the area to record the Druim Mor Chambered cairn. <7>
The stone was photographed again in 2012 as a part of D Scotts survey of all of the cup marked stones at Druim Mor. <8>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 135.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Regional Council. 1980s. Cup-marks, boulder, Swordale. Digital Image. No. Original & digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Robertson, L A. 1987. Cup marks, boulder - stone in wall. B/W Negative. No. Original & digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Robertson, L A. 1987. Cup marks, boulder - stone in wall. B/W Negative. No. Original & digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Robertson, L A. 1987. Cup marks, boulder - stone in wall. B/W Negative. No. Original & digital.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s): Gourlay, R B. 1987. Cupmarks, Boulder - General view of stone in dyke. B/W Negative. No. Original & digital.
- <7> Text/Record Form/Field Recording Form: Clark, A. 2010. Highland HER Site Reporting Form: Druim Mór Chambered Cairn. Unaffiliated. Yes. Digital.
- <8> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Scott, D. 2012. Druim Mor Cupmarks: Swordale Hill, Evanton, Easter Ross. Scott, D. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5764 6593 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12881 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.