MHG8976 - Urn, Glen Glass
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
According to Mr Munro-Fergusson (Novar House, Alness), an ornamented urn was found at NH 5568 6799 during the construction of a forestry road about 1965. It crumbled away when picked up. Fergusson didn't see it, but from a workman's description believes it was a beaker.
Visited by OS (I S S) 29 August 1972 <1>
A participant in a Community Timeline course, run by ARCH, reinforced the report that in the 1960s a cist containing a beaker was found while bulldozing a forestry road, but the beaker disintegrated on exposure to the open air. <2>
This area is identified as a cairnfield, but without cists or finds. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 15, No. 95 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<2> ARCH and Invidual Participants, 08/2010, Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie, Alpin MacDonald (Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer). SHG24857.
<3> MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 342 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 95.
- <2> Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: ARCH and Invidual Participants. 08/2010. Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie. Yes. Digital. Alpin MacDonald.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 342.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5568 6779 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- VESSEL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12877 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.