MHG8979 - Polished Axe, Drumore Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A polished stone axe from Drumore is in RMS (AF 443).
PSAS 1890; PSAS 1898.
The farm of Drumore is at NH 5839 6612 and published as Upper Park on the OS 25" map, though there is a faint possibility that the name Drumore originally applied to the buildings shown roofed on OS 1st ed. 25" (1875) in the area centred NH 5762 6615. This area is named Druim Mor.
Visited by OS 5 May 1963.
Acquired by the NMS 1897. Dark grey slate, 6 3/8 x 3 1/8 in. <1>
This axehead was first exhibited to the NMS by William Urquhart of Evanton in 1890 and then was subsequently bought by the NMS in 1897. <2> <3>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 443.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1890. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 24 1889-1890, p.6-18,141-6,274-81,378-82,410-15,443-50. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 6-18,141-6,274-81,378-82,. 414.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1898. 'Donations to,and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 32 1897-8, p.5-10, 57-61, 129-32, 178-80, 236-46. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-10, 57-61, 129-32, 178-. 7.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5799 6600 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12874 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.