MHG8982 - Cairn, Arcan Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH55SW 8 5030 5352.
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of) OS 6"map, (1938)
The remains of a stone circle; 4 of the stones are upright, the remainder are fallen. It is also locally stated to have been used as a burial place for unbaptised children. Name Book 1876.
On level ground at the brink of a natural escarpment are twenty two rounded boulders, few of them earth-fast, forming a rough circle c16m in diameter. The stones are too small to have been a stone circle and probably represent the remains of the peristalith of a robbed cairn.
Resurveyed at 1/2500 (Visited by OS (R D) 20 January 1965)
Visited by OS (R L) 19 November 1970.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) March 1989.
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 21.
- --- SHG3390 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 71.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5030 5352 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12870 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.