MHG8989 - Chambered cairn, Bishop Kinkell
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH55SW 3 5412 5279.
(NH 5412 5279) This Orkney-Cromarty, Polygonal, round chambered cairn, truncated by field wall, has had almost all cairn material removed - though an indefinite edge can be traced for c30 ft. from chamber on S and W. 9 stones remain of chamber, whose entrance was in E, and of these 5 represent what was formerly 3 pairs of transverse slabs spaced 3-5 feet apart and probably indicating a very short passage and ante chamber. The main chamber, once oval and c 11' x 7.5' is represented by only 4 slabs 1ft 9ins. To 3 ft. high - rather taller than the transverse slabs.
A S Henshall 1963; A S Henshall and J C Wallace 1956.
This cairn is as described above. Re-surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 22 January 1965.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) March 1989.
Douglas Scott posted a photograph on the Highland HER Facebook page showign the sun rising in line with the passage of this cairn on 3 May 2011. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henshall and Wallace, A S and J C. 1956. 'Ross and Cromarty, Bishop Kinkell', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1956, p.22-3. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 22-3. 22-3.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 338, (ROS 9); plan 339, fig. 75.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Douglas Scott, 18/05/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5413 5279 (44m by 38m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4741 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12863 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.