MHG899 - Chambered Cairn, Upper Dounreay Chambered Cairn, Upper Dounreay
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Brough (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
The short, horned, chambered cairn of the Orkney-Cromarty group at Upper Dounreay measures about 55ft across and has horns projecting towards the cardinal points, giving diameter from tip to tip across the cairn of about 90ft. The top of the cairn has been removed, leaving a present height of 4 to 5ft, and four stones of the chamber are visible. Two sides of a short cist can be seen on the S horn.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911.
This turf-covered chamber cairn, 1.5m max height, generally as described above. The W horn although shapeless is larger than the others. Stone slabs set on edge, forming part of the burial chamber, are visible in the mutilated top of the cairn. In the S horn, one end and one side slab of a cist, 1m by 0.6m, can be seen protruding 0.1m through the surface of the cairn.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 23 November 1964.
(ND 0079 6604) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 7 September 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 102-3, No. 372 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 298, CAT 61; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 151-2, no. 61; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 151-2, no. 61; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 102-3, No. 372.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 298, CAT 61; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0079 6604 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7874 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.