MHG9006 - BA Flat Axe, Bishop Kinkell Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An EBA flat axe (type Ba), found on the farm of Bishop-Kinkell (NH 543 530) was purchased for the NMAS in 1932. (Acc No: DA 97)
PSAS 1932; J M Coles 1971.
(Flat axe of Migdale type). Single find. Flat axe, porous, green, signs of polishing, butt and cutting edge incomplete; length 143mm, butt 38mm, cutting edge (?), weight 390 gms. NMAS DA 97. P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- SHG1474 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 85.
- --- SHG2372 Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7384.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DA 97.
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 42, no. 159.
- --- SHG571 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1932. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 66 1931-2, p.13-32, 102-5, 137-9, 398-400, 421-5,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 13-32, 102-5, 137-9, 398-. 17.
- <1> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 2.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5430 5299 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-046-C&scache=3iz732hsg3&searchdb=scran (Link to online NMS catalogue database record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12845 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-046-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.