MHG9009 - Chambered Cairn, Balvaird
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH55SW 10 5394 5193.
(NH 53945193) Stone Circle (OE) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A stone circle of which 18 stones at present are to be seen in various positions. Name Book 1876.
The cairn; Orkney-Cromarty, polygonal; has been so robbed that its limits cannot be defined. Its maximum height is 3ft.
A S Henshall 1963; A A Woodham 1956
This mutilated cairn is 1m high, with 10 stones, maximum height 1m, forming a burial chamber with 2 compartments, visible in top. A third compartment on east edge is formed by much smaller stones. Re-surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 22 January 1965
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) March 1989.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 337, ROS 7; Fig. 74.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 69.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5394 5193 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3635 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12842 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.