MHG9015 - Cairn - Carn Glas, Mains of Kilcoy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH55SE 5 5772 5191.
Tumulus (NR) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
This cairn measures 47' E-W by 34' N-S and is 13' high.
Excavations by Woodham in 1960 and 1961 revealed not only that cairn had been entered from top, and subsequently filled in with clay, but that it contains a massive cist, 8' x 2', lacking end slabs though covered by 3 large slabs; on floor were found a few pieces of cremated bone. The only other find was a saddle quern used as a building stone.
A J Beaton 1882; A A Woodham 1956, 1960, 1961.
The cairn is about 13m diameter and 2.5m high. It is virtually cut into two halves by Woodham's excavation trench running approximately E-W. Boulders and clay have rolled into the trench and there is no sign of the alleged cist.
Published survey (25") revised. Visited by OS (ISS) 29 3 1973.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 3 March 1989.
A photograph of this cairn has been submitted by a member of the public. <1>
For Carn Glas Chambered Cairn see MHG9014
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, A J. 1882. 'Notes on the antiquities of the Black Isle, Ross-shire, with plans and sections', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.477-92. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 477-92. 480.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Close-Brooks, J. 1984. ''Some early querns'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 113 1983, p.282-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 282-9. 284.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 10, No. 33.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 73, No. 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1960. 'Kilcoy', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1960, p.35. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 35. 35.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1961. 'Kilcoy', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1961, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Member of public. 2008. Mains of Kilcoy Cairn. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5771 5191 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- QUERN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3123 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12836 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.