MHG9018 - Kilcoy North Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH55SE 2 5703 5174.
Kilcoy North (Kilcoy IV) is a considerably denuded chambered cairn of Orkney-Cromarty polygonal round tuype. It still stands to a height of 4 ft. with diam. Of 60 ft. In centre, the tops of a number of stones, protruding, define a chamber with entrance in E. The western end slab is pointed and, with innermost slab on N. side, is rather taller than remainder, being 3 ft. above the cairn material. The chamber has been bipartite - a divisional slab is visible on the south side-and it s compartments measure 8 ft. long by 9 ft. wide (inner) and 9 ft. long by 5-7 ft. wide for the outer.
A A Woodham 1956; A S Henshall 1963.
This chambered cairn is as described above but has been mutilated in NW by stone clearance, by excavation and by a water tank built in E. segment.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 January 1965.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 3 March 1989.
Douglas Scott submitted photographs to the HER in July 2011. <1>
Woodham, A. A., 1956, A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle, p 86 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG72.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 347-8, ROS 23; plan, 148, fig. 80 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 8, No. 12 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
<1> Scott, D, 2010-11, Photographs and information from Douglas Scott (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25031.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 347-8, ROS 23; plan, 148, fig. 80.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 86.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5702 5174 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4606 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4606 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12833 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.