MHG9020 - Redcastle Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY STATION (19th Century to 20th Century - 1894 AD to 1960 AD)
- POST OFFICE (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
(Location cited as NH 583 495). Redcastle Station, opened 1894 by the Highland Rly. Formerly a two-platform through station. The down-platform building is an empty structure on an L plan with an awning in the nagle, now empty. Nearby is a one-story and attic masonry station house.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
This intermediate station on the Muir of Ord - Fortrose ('Black Isle') branch of the former Highland Rly was opened (by that company) on 1 February 1894. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 1 October 1951.
The location assigned to this record is essentially tentative. That of the station cannot be derived from the available map evidence.
This station is visible on RAF 'National Survey' vertical air photographs CPE/SCOT/UK 184 3309-10, flown 9 October 1946.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 July 2009.
G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995. <2><3>
Information on the station received from participants in the Black Isle Heritage Memories project. The station was extended in WWII. The last good trains passed through in the 1960s. Now renovated and occupied by the Nansen Society.
The post office was in the station first and then moved to a nearby asbestos building at NH 58301 51133, now demolished. <4>
Despite the doubt expressed by RCAHMS, this is the correct location of Redcastle Station. Marked as such, with Post Office, on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Goods shed and Crane shown to E. <5>
On the 5th edition Ordnance Survey mapping, a building marked PO appears to the immediate E of the station building, at NH 58259 51118. This correlates with a building still in existence on modern mapping. Does this reflect the location of the new post office? >6><7>
- <1> SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original).
- <2> SHG2106 Text/Publication/Volume: Daniels and Dench, G and L. 1980. Passengers no more. 3rd ed.. 44.
- <3> SHG2009 Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 195.
- <4> SHG24970 Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. T27 & T31.
- <5> SHG23423 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <6> SHG23419 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <7> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5836 5115 (293m by 135m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12831 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.