MHG9024 - BA Axe Mould, Ferintosh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An EBA flat axe mould of red sandstone was found in a heap of field-gathered stones at Ferintosh (Newton of Ferintosh - NH 5653; Newlands of Ferintosh - NH 5954) and was donated to NMAS in 1928 by finder, Dr J J Galbraith, 4 Park St., Dingwall. (Acc No: CM 32) It bears matrices for three axes.
PSAS 1929; J M Coles 1971.
(Mould for flat axes). Single find. Mould, red stone of coarse grain, darkening of matrices.
Face A: flat axe, length 90mm, cutting edge 45mm, max. depth 9mm; small flat axe, length 65mm, cutting edge 25mm, max. depth 6mm.
Face B: matrix eroded.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This mould was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- SHG1474 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. pp. 29-33, 91.
- --- SHG1625 Text/Publication/Article: Hodges, H W M. 1959. 'The Bronze Age moulds of the British Isles, Pt., Scotland and Northern Ireland - Moulds of stone and clay', Sibrium Vol. 4 1958-9, p.129-37. Sibrium. 129-37. 135.
- --- SHG1763 Text/Publication/Article: Britton, D. 1963. 'Traditions of metal-working in the later Neolithic and early Bronze Age of Britain: Part I', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 29 1963, p.258-325. Proc Prehist Soc. 258-325. 324.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. CM 32.
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 54, no. 303.
- --- SHG568 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1929. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 63 1928-9, p.11-28, 151-3, 214-17, 310-13, 361-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-28, 151-3, 214-17, 310. 12; fig. 1.
- <1> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. no. 44.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5599 5299 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
- MOULD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12827 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-215-C&scache=1mbsr4jfxt&searchdb=scran (Link to online NMS catalogue record)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-215-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.