MHG9028 - Kinkell Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWER HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH55SE 1 5538 5433.
Kinkell Castle (NR) OS 6"map, (1973)
Late 16th C fortalice, modest in size and approximately to Z-plan with main block lying E-W. A circular stair tower rises at SE corner and stair turret is corbelled out above first-floor level at NW. The entrance is in re-entrant angle at base of stair tower and is guarded by gun-loops. The harled walls rise 3 storeys and a garret to a steep roof with crowstepped gables. Internally, hall fireplace bears a defaced shield dated 1594. Kinkell was the property of the MacKenzies of Gairloch. The castle was used as a farm-house and then deserted, but is now being restored.
N Tranter 1970.
Kinkell Castle is as described above and fully restored and occupied. Visited by OS (J B) 28 July 1975.
Restored by Gerald Laing (and demolition of later wing) from 1966
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Laing, G. 1974. Kinkell: the reconstruction of a Scottish castle.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol. 4, 129-30.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thornton, W. 1783. Travels in Scotland 1782-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tranter, N. 1962-70. The fortified house in Scotland.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 116, 118.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 549-50.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5539 5435 (76m by 97m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14906 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12823 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.