MHG9029 - Chambered Cairn, Whiteleys
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Stone Circle (OE) (Remains of) OS 6"map, (1938)
Ussie: On the crest, but not the summit, of a ridge stand a confused cluster of megalithic uprights within a disturbed and much denuded cairn.
V G Childe 1944.
Orkney-Cromarty; polygonal. The cairn is so denuded now, that it is impossible to estimate its original size and and form. Seven stones of the chamber remain more or less in position; but it is difficult to interpret the remains. Other large slabs lie about site.
A S Henshall 1963.
As described above. One large stone at NH 53045650, has 7 distinct cup marks on it.
Re-surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R D) 20 January 1963.
The mound of this Orkney-Cromarty Cairn has been almost entirely removed, but the remains of what has probably been a polygonal chamber are still visible.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.
No change. Visited by RCAMS March 1979.
Childe, V G, 1944, 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38, 33 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG175.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, Vol. 1, 356 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 9, No. 27 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 33.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 27.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 356.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5304 5651 (45m by 44m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:3846 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3846 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12822 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.