MHG9038 - Conon Bridge(s)
The present road bridge was designed in 1969. The previous five-span bridge, now demolished, was designed by Telford, 1806 to 1809.
Type and Period (2)
- BRIDGE (Designed, 19th Century - 1806 AD to 1809 AD (between))
- ROAD BRIDGE (20th Century to 21st Century - 1969 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
For (adjacent) Maryburgh, tollhouse, see NH55NW 35.
This bridge carries A862 rublic road (fo A9) across River Conon between villages of Conon Bridge (in parish of Urquhart and Logie Wester) and Maryburgh (in parish of Fodderty). The original (now-demolished) five-arched bridge was designed by Thomas Telford in 1806-9, and present bridge by James Arrol (county surveyor) in 1969.
Info from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 July 1997.
J Gifford 1992; E Beaton 1992. <1><2>
ARCHITECT: Thomas Telford (1803-21)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5408 5585 (46m by 76m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.