MHG9063 - Dun, Drummondreach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
NH55NE 6 5817 5756.
Fort (NR) (Supposed) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Fort, Drummondreoch: An irregular area c.54' diam is surrounded by a stone wall. Built on two raised terraces which may be partly artificial, at edge of a steep drop to Castle Burn. There are two gaps in the wall, but only the S entrance seems original.
A A Woodham 1956
A robbed dun, sub-circular on plan, on NE brink of a gully and in a wood. It measures c20m WNW-ESE by c18m between the centres of a denuded stone wall spread to c3.5m. No wall faces are evident. The wall has been destroyed by quarrying in SW and the entrance is not evident.
The dun is defended in E, N and W by two curving ditches with medial rampart, all in a poor state of preservation except where they terminate on the gully. Here the ditches are about 8m wide, and the rampart about 6m wide. The entrance through the outer defences may have been in E, where there appears to be an access path round the wall of the dun.
The outworks have been mutilated by a track in NW, probably to facilitate robbing.
Surveyed at 1:2500. (Visited by OS (N K B) 19 January 1965)
Visited by OS (R L) 1 December 1970
This has been a desk assessment area.
J Wordsworth, SSSIs, Scottish Natural Heritage, 1993
- --- SHG13818 Image/Photograph(s): Drummondreach Fort. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13819 Image/Photograph(s): Drummondreach Fort. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13820 Image/Photograph(s): Drummondreach Fort. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 73.
- --- SHG72 Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 83; fig. 5.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5817 5756 (124m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3655 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12777 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.