MHG9079 - Standing stones, Windhill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
NH54NW 9 5327 4834.
Standing Stone (NR) OS 25"map, (1971)
A standing stone 2.3m high and about 0.55m square. 6.4m to the SW is a stone protruding through the turf, and measuring 0.8m by 0.5m by 0.5m high, which may possibly be the remains of a second standing stone. Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (J B) 17 June 1975
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, A J. 1883. 'Notes on ancient fortifications in the Black Isle, Ross-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 17 1882-3, p.414-23. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 414-23. 416.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Windhill Standing Stones.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 68.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5327 4834 (24m by 24m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3127 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12704 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.