MHG9123 - Cave, Priest Island South

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CAVE (Undated)
  • (Alternate Type) HERMITAGE (RELIGIOUS) (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a large 'cove' on S side of Priest Island, said to have been alternative home of a 'Popish priest' (see also NB90SW 4).
OSA 1794.

The term 'cove' probably applies to one of the many caves on Priest Island (OSA 1794) in which case OSA could be referring to cave at NB 927 016 which runs right through a large overhanging mass of rock with an entrance at E & W ends. It has been divided by a drystone wall from floor to roof with an opening for communication between the two compartments.
Dr Darling, a one-time resident on the island, found a midden in the cave containing seal and bird bones. There is no trace of this midden.
Visited by OS (EG) 25 May 1962.


Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 10, 473 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NB 9270 0160 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NB90SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHBROOM

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.