MHG9151 - Cave, Priest Island North
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAVE (Undated)
- None recorded
NB90SW 4 915 023.
On Priest Island "may be seen two large coves, one on N side of the island, the other (NB90SW 3) on S. That on the N would be sufficiently large for 50 men either to sit or lie down in. It is said to have been occupied by a Popish Priest who used to shift his headquarters from one cove to another as the weather directed. (This entry occurs under the sub-heading 'Antiquities').
According to Mr Fraser (historian, Achiltibuie), the term 'coves' in the context used, probably applied to one of the many 'caves' on Priest Island.
If OSA is referring to 'caves' as it appears probable, there are several fissures visible which may answer the description. Most are accessible only from sea. There appears to be no local traditions regarding them.
According to Mr Macleod (Achnacarinan, Achiltibuie) a cave near the NW tip of the Island is possibly that referred to by the OSA. It is situated in the face of the cliff and is approached only with difficulty from a narrow ledge.
This cave was not visited but according to Mr Macleod (Achiltibuie) is situated at approximately NB 915 023.
Visited by OS (EG) 25 May 1962.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 10, 373 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
|Grid reference||Centred NB 9149 0230 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4448 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.