MHG9156 - Broch, Gruinards
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NH59SW 1 549 908.
There is a broch at Greenyards on the south side of the River Carron. (Info from J M Joass to J Anderson)
J Anderson 1873.
Not listed as broch. A Graham 1950.
No further information found during field investigaton. Anderson is possibly referring to the broch NH59SE 5.
Visited by OS (W D J) 22 May 1963.
NH59 4 GRUINARDS ('Greenyards')
Possible broch in Kincardine, Sutherland the only record of which is a name on Joseph Anderson’s list . This may however refer to site NH59 2 (see MHG9158).
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NH 59 SW 1: 2. Anderson 1873, 193. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1873. ''Notice of the excavation of the brochs of Yarhouse, Brounaben, Bowermadden, Old Stirkake, and Dunbeath in Caithness; with remarks on the period of the brochs, and an appendix, containing a collected list of the brochs of Scotland, and early notices of m. Archaeol Scot. 131-98. 193.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 48-99.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NH59 4 GRUINARDS.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5490 9080 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13067 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.