MHG9175 - St. Colman's Chapel

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Old Burial Ground {NAT}
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907).

At Kilmachalmag - St. Colman's Cell - is a small, unenclosed graveyard overgrown with weeds & briars. Adjoining is foundation of a small oblong building which may represent the old chapel.
W J Watson 1910.

Although partially enclosed by a stone dyke, the limits of the old burial ground cannot now be completely determined. No graves are visible and the area is now part of a pasture field. The building foundations consist of grassed-over stone footings 0.4m high and 8.5 x 4m.
Published Surv (25") revised. Visited by OS (RDL) 24 May 1963.

The dedication is probably to Colman Eala (died 611).
(See also NH 59 NW 8). W J Watson 1926.

The evidence of the place-name "Kilmachalmack", the strong local tradition of a burial ground and the dimensions of the building, as described by the previous field investigator, leave little doubt that it is a chapel. An early modern field dyke and clearance overlays its N wall and extends a further 8m to W. From this point a denuded turf-covered wall, probably of the graveyard swings around to terminate just south of the probable chapel.
Re-surveyd at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 January 1977.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5048 9866 (34m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH59NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish KINCARDINE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.