MHG9218 - Carn na Sean-Chreige
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
Thumbnail Photo supplied by P Swan, 2003
NG83SW 2 8188 3147.
At NG 8188 3147, above a low crag known as Carn na Sean-chreige, overlooking Loch Achaidh na h-Inich, there are the much reduced remains of a galleried fort.
It is sub-rectangular on plan measuring c. 30.0m NW-SE by 28.0m transversely within a wall robbed to its lowest courses. The wall is generally 3.9m in thickness, and faced externally with large blocks. Within the wall are traces of a 'stabilising' wall, surviving at one point in the NE to three courses and 0.9m in height. Near the NW corner is part of a gallery, c. 1.0m in height and 0.9m in width, with one stone roof lintel still in situ. Traces of another gallery are visible in the NE side. The SW side has almost completely slipped over the crag, and is marked by a scatter of loose stones only. The entrance is placed centrally in the NE side; it is 1.4m in width and one door check survives. The interior is featureless and has been recently afforested. (cf. Dun Liath, Skye: NG 37 SE2).
Surveyed at 1/10,00.
Visited by OS (A A) 6 April 1970.
Both door checks of the entrance are now visible 1.3m along the passage from the outer wall face. The passage is 1.3m wide, expanding to 1.6m beyond the door checks.
Revised at 1/10,000.
Visited by OS (A A) 21 May 1974.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- SHG10029 Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Carn na Sean- Chreag. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG10030 Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Carn na Sean- Chreag, Wall, NW Side. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG10035 Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Carn na Sean- Chreag, Interior, NW side. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG10041 Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Carn na Sean- Chreag, interior. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG10047 Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Carn na Sean- Chreag, wall & cliff, SW side. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG26837 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. and Peteranna, M.. 2015. Sean Craig Fort Archaeological Project, Plockton: Archaeological Evaluation: Data Structure Report. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services (RoCAS) & West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital.
- <1> SHG27950 Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2726.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8187 3147 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (3)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2726.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5532 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11904 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.