MHG9233 - Lochalsh Parish Church, Kirkton

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also: NG82NW0039 Burial ground
JHooper, 10/12/2001

NG82NW 7 8290 2722.

(NG 8290 2722) Church (NAT)

The parish church of Lochalsh, erected in 1641 and and repaired in 1766. A predecessor, dedicated to St. Comgan was burnt down in the 15th c.
One old grave in the crowded burial ground surrounding the church is covered by a flagstone showing a warrior with his hands folded over the belt of his sword.
D Macpherson 1958; S Gordon 1935; W J Watson 1910.

The present church, a plain rectangular building with round arched windows, is still in use.
No information could be found to suggest it was on the site of the earlier church.
c. 10.0m S of SE corner of the church is the cover-stone mentioned above.
Visited by OS (R L) 21 September 1966.

Sources/Archives (6)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 8290 2722 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG82NW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish LOCHALSH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.