MHG9234 - BA Sword, Ardintoul
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Two pieces of the blade of a LBA leaf-shaped sword, broken off below the hilt, the point missing, 11" long, were found by a shepherd beside a sheep track at Ardinhoul in 1947. They were donated to NMAS by Wing Commander G L Hunting Slaley Hall, Slaley, Hexham, Northumberland (D.L.160) <1> <2>
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1950; J M Coles 1962.
Mr MacKenzie (A MacKenzie, Allt Mhor, Glenelg), who was with the shepherd when the sword was found, indicated the approximate area of the find. It was seen protruding from a bank which sheep had been rubbing against.
The area is now under afforestation.
Visited by OS (R L) 5 October 1966.
Found by a shepherd in 1947, beside a sheep track about 280m SE of Ardintoul farmhouse, not far from the S shore of Loch Aish. Single find; two sword blade fragments which fit together. Length (together) 28.2cm, maximum blade width 3.83cm; dark green patina, very smooth on one side, badly corroded on the other. NMAS DL 60. <3>
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DL 60.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1950. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 82 1947-8, p.315-25. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 315-25. 317.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 85.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 99, no. 570.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8419 2369 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11878 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.