MHG9263 - Possible Fort, Ardelve
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Undated)
- None recorded
NG82NE 5 c. 87 27.
From Bard's Castle (NG82NE 1) "the site of another vitrified fort was pointed out to me in the direction of Ardelve (NG 87 26), but I was unable to verify this fact, not having time to visit the locality" (T Wallace 1898).
Cotton (M A Cotton 1954) has traced no more references to this site.
T Wallace 1897 and 1898; M A Cotton 1954.
Visited by OS (N K B) 27 September 1966.
- --- SHG1180 Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1896-7. 'Notes of antiquities in Loch Alsh and Kintail', PSAS, Volume 31. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotl. 86-9. 87.
- --- SHG288 Text/Publication/Article: Cotton, M A. 1954. 'British camps with timbered-laced ramparts', Archaeol J, Vol. 111, pp 26-105. 76.
- --- SHG43 Text/Publication/Article: Nisbet, H C. 1975. 'A geological approach to vitrified forts, part II: bedrock and building stone', Science and Archaeology, Vol 15, pp 3-16. p 13, no.35.
- --- SHG641 Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T D. 1898. 'Dornie and its antiquities', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 4 1888-95, p.108-16. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 108-16. 112.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8700 2700 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11834 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.