MHG928 - Chambered Cairn, Tulach Buaile Assery
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Tulach Buaile Assery (Brough) (NR)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Tulach Buaile Assery is a turf-covered long horned cairn of Orkney-Cromarty group, with a Camster-type chamber.
The body of cairn is about 204ft long, 42ft wide at W end and 65ft wide at E end; this end is about 12ft high and virtually intact. At W end fairly clearly defined horns project obliquely an additional 20ft. The horns at E end were not visible in 1956 but in 1910 they were about 26ft long. There are remains of a possible chamber 26ft in from W end of cairn, and a recent hole halfway up NE side of E end opens into another chamber, now partially collapsed.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
This long horned chambered cairn is as described.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 3 November 1964.
(ND 0575 6019) Tulach Buaile Assery (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
Tulach Buaile Assery - a chambered cairn as described by Miss Henshall.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 September 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 149-50, no. 59; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 39, No. 136.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 75-7, 296, CAT 59; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0575 6019 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM498 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7903 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.