MHG929 - Chambered Cairn, Torr Ban Na Gruagaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Torr Ban na Gruagaich (Brough) (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Torr Ban na Gruagaich, a grass-covered round Orkney-Cromarty type chambered cairn, 58ft N-S by 54ft transversely and about 7ft high, has been opened and robbed in centre. Stones of passage and two-compartment chamber are visible
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911.
This chambered cairn, generally as described above, is 19m in diameter and 1.8m high; stones which have been removed from cairn were probably used in construction of a building which stood at SE end of cairn.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 3 November 1964.
Torr Ban na Gruagaich (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
This is a long cairn measuring c40m NNE-SSW by 19m transversely; prominent 'round cairn' with its chamber occurs at NNE end, and is as described by Miss Henshall. From it, an indistinct, heather-covered rickle of stones, 0.5m max height, extends, and at extreme SSW end, deep ploughing in association with nearby forestry has revealed a content of medium-sized slabs, but no further chamber or passage. There is no trace of a hornwork. The chamber planned by Miss Henshall is not aligned along longer axis, suggesting that cairn may have at least two phases.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 September 1981.
- --- SHG2115 Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 144-5, no. 56; plan.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 39, No. 137.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 295, CAT 56; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0584 6001 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM489 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7904 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.