MHG9307 - Chambered cairn, The Ord South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC50NE 17 5740 0559. (NC 5740 0559) Chambered Cairns (NR) (also includes NC50NE 16). OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
The remains of an Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a polygonal chamber, set on a rocky knoll. The cairn material has been entirely removed and its edge is indefinite but the diameter across the chamber appears to have been about 45ft. Of the chamber, which has been entered from the ESE, the orthostats remain, ranging to a height of 3ft.
A S Henshall 1963; Visited by OS (W D J) 20 June 1963. <1>
This Orkney-Cromarty type chambered cairn is as described and planned by Henshall. The two masts and guy anchors of a TV relay station have been set into it.
Resurveyed at 1:10 000 Visited by OS (N K B) 21 July 1976.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (J B) 16 March 1979.
GR corrected to above - HAW 8/2004 <2>
Noted during topographic survey across this area. The cairn material has been removed which make its edge unclear but the diameter is estimated to have been around 20m. A few orthostats indicate the outline of the chamber. There is a shallow
hollow in the ground to the S of the chamber that is 3.5m in diameter. <3>
Management plan for this area approved in 2008. <4>
Wickham Jones C, The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3520.
Ketteringham L, 1997, A History of Lairg (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2376.
Wickham Jones C; Harden J, 2000, The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG2934.
<1> Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 326, SUT 49; Plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<2> AP : The Ord South. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13391.
<3> Dalland, M, 05/2010, A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland, Site HA10.2 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24798.
<4> Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland, 2008, The Ord, cairns, chambered cairns, hut circles & field system (Text/Report/Management Plan). SHG23375.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ketteringham L. 1997. A History of Lairg.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 326, SUT 49; Plan.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): AP : The Ord South.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA10.2.
- <4> Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. The Ord, cairns, chambered cairns, hut circles & field system. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5740 0557 (10m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1812 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4985 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.