MHG9354 - Cairn Shuin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NC82NE 25 87 28.
The rim of the castle at Kinbrace of the Lady Frakark, in which according to the Sagas, she was burned to death by Sveinn Asleifson, c1140, is traditionally known as Cairn Shuin (T Pennant 1769) or Carn Suine(OSA 1792) and lies at Suinachugh(OPS 1855) or Chenachu (J Gray 1922)(Shenachu: c. NC 8828 (Information from H Morrison map of Sutherland 1853)) which is said to mean 'the old field' or 'the old cairns'. In 1769 Pennant saw the remains as large shapeless heaps and says that 'though the ruins are great yet no man can tell of what kind they were : that is round like Pictish houses or not'. (? Possibly a reference to the chambered cairns etc in this vicinity eg NC 82 NE 2, 3, 7, 10,20)
A B Taylor 1938; J Mackay 1894
This site of this alleged castle was not established during field investigation.
Visited by OS (E G C) 31 May 1961
Pennant, T, 1774, A tour in Scotland; MDCCLXIX, 362-3 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2618.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, vol. 3, 402 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 741 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.
Mackay, J, 1894, 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40, 185-6 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1593.
Gray, J, 1922, Sutherland and Caithness in saga time, 147 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2290.
Taylor, A B, 1938, The Orkneyinga Saga, 388 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2857.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1894. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 183-208, 325-40. 185-6.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gray, J. 1922. Sutherland and Caithness in saga time. 147.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. vol. 3, 402.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pennant, T. 1774. A tour in Scotland; MDCCLXIX. 3rd ed.. 362-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Taylor, A B. 1938. The Orkneyinga Saga. 388.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 741.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8700 2800 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6653 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.