MHG937 - Chambered Cairn, Mill of Knockglass
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Mound (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This grass-covered cairn is c36ft diameter and 5ft high.
This cairn is as described above.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 3 November 1964.
(ND 0565 6367) Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
A turf-covered cairn, 11m N-S by 0.5m transversely and 1.3m high. A hole has been dug into side, revealing a content of horizontally laid slabs and, in centre, two opposing upright slabs, 1.1m apart, are partially exposed. Latter probably represent remains of a cist. but as stones are mostly buried, measurements are unobtainable. No capstone remains, but a turf-covered depression in summit suggests an earlier exploration of cairn.
Visited by OS (NKB) 18 September 1981.
This cairn is in a narrow strip of rough grazing between the arable fields of Forsie Farm and the Forss Water, at 46m OD. It is turf covered with diameter of 11.5m, rising from a well-defined edge to a height of 1.2m measured from S and 1.7m measured from N where ground drops. The profile is undisturbed except that top has been flattened by interference long ago, and a recent deep hollow has been made into SE side. The cairn material of closely packed horizontal slabs is exposed in W side of hollow, and S parts of two upright slabs project from its N side. These slabs are set parallel 1.1m apart, their broken upper edges 0.5m below top of the cairn. The slabs are over 0.9m and 0.63m long, visible for heights of 0.15 and 0.25m, and are 0.1m thick. They appear to be divisional slabs on S side of a chamber aligned on an E to W axis. E slab is 4m from E edge of the cairn.
Visited 10 7 and 25 9 1987. J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 167-8, no. CAT 77; plan p. 167.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. 184, no. FOR 236.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 40, No. 140.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0564 6367 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM470 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7912 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.