MHG9372 - Polished Stone Axehead, Cave, Torroble
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAVE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC50SE 19 589 044.
A polished greenstone axe, found in a rock cave at Torroble (NC 589 044) was purchased for the NMAS. (Acc No: AF 639)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1915.
This axe has been petrologically attributed to group IX (porcellanite from Tievebulliagh and Rathlin, Northern Ireland).
T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988.
The axeahead is listed in the NMS catalogue under Acc. No. AF 639. Acquired in 1914. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clough and Cummins, T H McK and W A. 1988. Lists of identifications. 141-264. 241, no. SUT 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1915. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.10-17, 56, 92, 207-8, 275, 307. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-17, 56, 92, 207-8, 275. 15.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 639.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5890 0440 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5080 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.