MHG938 - Chambered Cairn - Knock Glass
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
The turf-covered long cairn at Knockglass is 112ft long, 31 to 46ft wide and 2 to 6ft high. The lower courses of a facing-wall are visible in places along sides, but a large stone recorded by RCAHMS as protruding from main axis of cairn 30ft from SE end has disappeared.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
At ND 0568 6378 there are the turf-covered remains of a long cairn, measuring c40m NW-SE by 13m transversely, and approx 2m high. No definite facing-wall could be found.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 3 November 1964.
(ND 0568 6378) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
A turf-covered long cairn, which is wedge-shaped or horned, measuring c40m NW-SE, some 18m across higher SE end, and 11m across NW. Two stones in NW and one in SE margin may be exposed remains of a kerb. There is minor mutilation in W corner, but apart from this cairn seems to be intact. There is no trace of a passage or chamber but their existence is likely; all long cairns in this part of Caithness have been chambered.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 September 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 121, no. 32; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 39-40, No. 138.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 277, CAT 32.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0567 6379 (38m by 35m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM469 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7913 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.