MHG9395 - Graveyard, Ach na h-Uai
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Approx. 2.5m on B871 Kinbrace to Syre road. North side of road, uphill, no defined path, walled enclosure: opposite east end of Loch Achnamoine. Donald Sage was missionary minister here 1815-1818: "In the midst of this place of graves stood a rude and homely church, or meeting house, as it was more appropriately called. The lower part of the walls, to the height of about two feet, was built of dry stone: the walls and the gables were then brought to their full height by alternate rows of turf and stone. The roof was constructed of branches of birch laid on the couples, covered with divot, and thatched with a thin layer of straw which was secured with heather ropes. The windows were merely a few shapeless holes left in the roof and the walls for the admission of light and furnished with boards to prevent the ingress of sheep or cattle. The seating was originally a few planks of moss-fir, dug out of the bogs in the neighbourhood, and placed upon turf and stones."
Information supplied by A.S.Cowper
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1977. 'Two possible prehistoric quarries in Caithness', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 April 1977, p.46-7. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 46-7. 38-9; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A.S.Cowper & I.Ross. 1989. Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Donald Sage. 1975. Memorabilia Domestica, Parish Life in the North of Scotland. 60, 197.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8267 3209 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6756 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.