MHG9397 - Ach'Na H-Uai
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- HUT CIRCLE SETTLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
(Centred at NC 839311) Enclosures and Hut Circles (NR) (six features shown) OS 6" 1963
A settlement of hut-circles and enclosures found during field investigation in 1961 on a south facing hill-slope where RCAHM in 1909 had reported a field system. A further hut at NC 8377 3170 was discovered in 1968
RCAHM 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (W D J) 17 May 1961, and (A A) 11 March 1968
This settlement comprises seven hut circles ('A' - 'G') and an enclosure 'H' within a field system. Huts 'A' and 'B' are unusually well preserved.
'A', turf-covered and built onto the slope, is 11m SE-NW by 10m within a wall 1.5m wide in the NE, enlarging to 2.7m at the clubbed entrance in SE. Intermittent outer facing stones are visible along SW arc.
'B' is 9.3m E-W by 8.5m within a stone wall, partially turf covered. It exhibits an inner face of contiguous slabs on edge, occasionally displaced. The wall varies in width from 1.4m in the S to 1.9m to the N; at N end of entrance in the W the wall increases to 3m in width. The entrance is unusually wide at 4m.
'C' set into the slope is of similar construction and appearance to 'B', but with signs of robbing in the SW. It measures 8.4m in diameter internally. Where opposite facing stones are preserved the wall averages 2m in width. An unusually large outer facing stone 0.85m high stands on the NW arc. A gap in the S is probably the entrance.
'D' is 7.2m in diameter within an inner face of intermittant slabs on edge. The wall has averaged 1.5m in width, with entrance in SE. There is a revettment of large slabs on S and SE sides, 2.5m-3m from the wall.
'E' and 'F' are poorly defined and measure 9m by 7.5m in diameter respectively within traces of a wall. Where visible entrance is in the SE.
'G' (found in 1968) is also poorly defined. It measures about 7.5m in diameter within a wall of indeterminate width. The entrance is probably in SE. The hut has been bisected by a drainage trench and a deer fence.
'H' is a sub-rectangular enclosure 42m E-W by 36m within a orthostatic, narrow wall, best defined in N and E, but rather obscure in W. This enclosure is almost certainly contemporary with the adjacent hut circles (B and C).
A field system of about 25 hectares surrounds the huts. It is best preserved around NC 84053185 where it is defined by clearance heaps around 20m apart, lynchets and vague stretches of walling. A few plots are visible, one measured being 45m and 15m. The system is less distinct and fades to the W where the ground is not so well drained. Here heaps are around 20m -50m apart with occasional lynchets discernible. No plots are visible.
Surveyed at 1/10,000 Visited by OS (J B) 25 February 1977.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 130, No. 373 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8391 3187 (882m by 474m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6754 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)