MHG9399 - Ach'Na H-Uai'

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC83SW 18 centred on NC 825 320.

(NC 825320) Ach' na h-Uai' (NAT) (NC 82683209) Meeting House (remains of) (NAT) OS 6"map, (1963)

This ruined depopulated township of about 25 hectares consisted of nine buildings and a corn drying kiln. Around the houses there are associated walled vegetable plots, field walls and narrow rig. A wall bounds the northern half of the township. The Meeting House comprises a T-shaped building whose walls now stand to a maximum height of 1.8 m. A graveyard attached to the S of the building contains several headstones, the earlier of which is dated 1837, although the Meeting House is known to have been in use only until 1812. It is comparable with that at Achness.
Visited by OS (J B) 3 March 1977; D Sage 1840; J Mackay 1894

A township comprising eleven unroofed buildings, seven enclosures, some field walls and a head-dyke, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lvi). Thirteen unroofed buildings, one of which is marked as a meeting house, seven enclosures, some field walls and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10.560 map (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 10 October 1995

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 8257 3196 (713m by 465m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC83SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish KILDONAN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.