MHG9408 - Carn Richard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC83SW 1 8348 3217.
(NC 83483217) Carn Richard (NAT).
Chambered Cairn (NR).
OS 6"map, (1963)
Carn Richard or Carn Tigh nan Coileach (RCAHMS 1911) is a short horned, chambered cairn of bare stone still standing 10' to 12' high on the south, but with a depression in the centre where it has been disturbed. The diameters are 58' E-W by 62' N-S but the precise edge is difficult to trace. There is a slight but definite projection to the NE, and the east side appears to be almost straight, suggesting that there has been a shallow forecourt between two horns on this side, possibly with deliberate blocking in front of the entrance. The passage seems to have led from the centre of the east side for here there are a number of flat slabs, somewhat displaced, which appears to be lintels. A slab which could be part of the passage wall, projects about 14' in on the east side and in the central depression there lies a large flat slab, presumably part of the collapsed roofing of the chamber. The tops of three upright slabs are just visible to the NE and SW of it. It is probable that the rest of the chamber and passage are more or less intact under the debris.
A S Henshall 1963
The cairn is as described above.
Visited by OS (W D J) 16 May 1961
No change to previous field report.
Revised at 1/10,000
Visited by OS (J B) 22 Feburary 1977
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 130, No. 373 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, Vol. 1, 312; plan 312 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 130, No. 373.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 312; plan 312.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8348 3217 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1773 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1773 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6743 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.