MHG9417 - Creag Nan Caorach West
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC83SE 1 8690 3094.
('A': NC 8690 3094 'B': NC 8707 3094.) Chambered Cairns (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
Two cairns, one of which, 'A' is certainly chambered, and the other possibly so.
'A' is an Orkney-Cromarty type short, horned cairn with a Camster type chamber and is composed of bare stones which rise about 4' 6" above the heather and peat which are growing over its base. It measures 43' E-W by 46' N-S and the horns project about 10' to the NW, NE, SW and SE though their exact limits are impossible to define. The entrance appears to have been from the east but nothing of the passage can be seen, although part of the chamber is exposed. The north wall still stands 4' 6" high with the upper courses beginning to oversail for the roof.
'B' has been greatly robbed and is partly overgrown with heather but it appears to have had a diameter of about 47'. Three upright stones, two of them set at right angles, occur near the centre and suggest that the cairn has been chambered.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909
These cairns (A and B) are as described by Henshall; 'A' is chambered, and the existence of three earthfast upright stones and a large displaced slab in 'B' leave little doubt that it is chambered, though no identifiable pattern is evident. There are the remains of a possible horn on the north side.
Visited by OS (J M) 25 January 1977 and (E G C) 22 May 1961
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 128, No. 367 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, Vol. 1, 316, Nos. 24 & 25; plan 317, fig. 64 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 128, No. 367.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 316, Nos. 24 & 25; plan 317, fig. 64.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8690 3094 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1753 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1753 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6734 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.