MHG9442 - Achork
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
(A: NC 7550 0494) Hut Circle (NR), (B: NC 7557 0480) (C: NC 7561 0480) Hut Circles (NR), (NC 7574 0484) Field System (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
A few hundred yards to the S of the hut circle and mounds (NC70NE 30), on rising ground to the E of Achork, is a large group of mounds at an elevation of 650 to 700 ft. One hut circle is visible, situated immediately E of the most northerly house and some 200 yards from it. It measures about 17 by 19ft internally, the bank some 4 to 5ft in width. The entrance in the SE is some 1ft 8ins across.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The only feature resembling the description and position of the hut noted by RCAHMS is a vague platform at NC 7548 0524 set into a SW-facing slope. There is a denuded bank around the SW arc and a wide gap in the SE which may indicate the position of an entrance, but the feature is too amorphous to classify with much certainty as a hut.
Centred at NC 755 048 on the lower SW slopes of the hill is a settlement of four hut circles including the three published by OS (A - C) and one other (D) discovered during recent field investigation.
Hut 'A' is 6.5m in diameter between the centres of a denuded wall with an entrance in the SE.
'B' measures 10.0m in internal diameter, within a wall defined by an inner circle of intermittent stones on edge backed by rubble. The entrance is in the SE arc. Hut 'C', overlaid by a later shieling, is oval, measuring 9.5m N-S by 8.0m E-W between wall centres. The entrance is not apparent. 'D', greatly denuded, measures 8.0m in diameter between wall centres. No entrance is visible.
Extending along the SW slopes of the hill between hut 'D' and the RCAHMS "hut" is an extensive and well-preserved field system comprising stone clearance heaps, lynchets and low field walls; some of the latter may be contemporary with later clearance.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 3 March 1966 and 17 November 1975.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 171, No. 495 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7568 0502 (563m by 650m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5925 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.