MHG9448 - Battle Site, Torran Dubhach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC70SW 8 7080 0364, 7093 0364 and 7089 0359
(Name: NC 7094 0363) Site of the Conflict of (NAT) Torran Dubhach (NR) (AD 1517) OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed.,(1907)
Torran Dubhach: "This name signifies the 'woeful' or 'sorrowful knoll' and applies to three small knolls situated on N of River Fleet. The conflict of Torran Dubhach took place 1517, between McKays of Strathnaver and inhabitants of SE of Sutherland. The former were totally routed after suffering considerable loss."
Name Book 1873; Brocon nd.; H Morrison 1883; J Mackay 1895; A MacKay 1914.
3 natural mounds in cultivated ground, accentuated by being ploughed round the base and with field clearance stones dumped upon them. Visited by OS (J M) 19 May 1981.
3 natural mounds, identified by previous authorities with a battle in 1517, are situated in an improved field and have been accentuated by ploughing around the base and supplemented by clearance. The two N mounds (NC 7080 0364, NC 7093 0364) are glacial in origin, while S mound (NC 7089 0359) is a spur on the leading edge of the terrace above the haughland.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 6 July 1995
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1895. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 19 1893-4, p.172-88. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 172-88. 187-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Brocon. nd.. History of the Highlands and Highland clans. 179.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 111.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 16-17.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 33, 12.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7079 0364 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6008 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.