MHG9449 - Muiemore township
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Situated on a S facing river terrace at an altitude of 145m=152m OD in enclosed pasture.
Information added by A M Fox, Highland Council Archaeology Unit, 17.04.00.
NC71NE 1 754 185.
(NC 754 185) Muiemore (OS 6"map, 1963), the remains of a deserted settlement shown as 'Mochmor', about six buildings with arable in 1747 (Roy 1747-55) but in ruins by 1872 (ONB 1872) although it appears to have been tenanted in 1815 (Adam 1972).
W Roy 1747-55; Name Book 1872; R J Adam 1972.
A compact cluster of buildings and arable land bounded on the north, south and west by the river and on the east by an earth and stone bank. The remains of the rectangular stone buildings stand to an average height of 0.4 m and range in size from 37m by 4m to 3m by 4 m. To the north of the buildings is a large enclosure formed by a turf bank. Between the west side of the enclosure and the river are the vague remains of two small shieling-like structures.
Visited by OS (W D J) 14 July 1961.
A township, comprising a single unroofed building and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxvi). Sixteen unroofed buildings, two enclosures and the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 16 October 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7543 1859 (240m by 354m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6010 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.