MHG9461 - Braesgill township
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- RIG AND FURROW (Undated)
- HEAD DYKE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC45NE 24 Centred on 475 570
Group of buildings named Bracaiskill. W Roy 1747-55.
Braesgill. OS 6-inch map, 1961.
A minor deserted settlement with head dyke, extending across a main road. It is mainly denoted by rig-and-furrow cultivation and heaps of cleared stones.
There are amorphous ruins of a single, probably contemporary enclosure (see NC45NE 5).
Buildings which existed are presumed to be robbed to build a later walled enclosure and sheepfold.
Visited by OS (NKB) 5 October 1978.
This possible township comprising 1 enclosure and a sheepfold are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxiv). The township containing an enclosure and 1 unroofed building outside the head dyke on the current edition OS 1:10,000 map (1989).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 14 August 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4749 5700 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/73063 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.