MHG9471 - Hut circle, The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
NC50NE 82 5734 0595.
On the gentle lower slopes north of The Ord, is a hut circle, covered by thick heather. Internally it measures 11m SE-NW by 9m with the entrance in SE. The wall is strongest in the NW where it is spread to 2.5m wide and 0.4m high, declining in strength towards the entrance. Except for two small clearance heaps there is no trace of contemporary cultivation in the immediate vicinity, although the ground to NE is smooth and stone-free. A large field system lies close by to the south (see NC50NE 13). A shallow moss-covered pit, 2.5m diameter, lies immediately north of the hut.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (J B) 13 March 1979.
A hut circle, covered by thick heather is situated on the N edge of a small plateau at NC 57343 05995. Internally it measures 11m SE-NW by 10m with the entrance in SE. The wall is best preserved to the NW where it is spread to 2.5m wide and 0.4m high. An oval clearance cairn, located at NC 57343 05995, is 5.5m by 6.5m, 0.5m high. The cairn is covered in deep heather. <1>
Ord Trail, Lairg, pathworks (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7144.
Wickham Jones C, The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3520.
Wickham Jones C; Harden J, 2000, The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG2934.
<1> Dalland, M, 05/2010, A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland, Site HA2.1 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24798.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Ord Trail, Lairg, pathworks. Unknown. .
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA2.1.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5734 0595 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1812 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5058 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.