MHG950 - Church, Monadh Nan Carn
A chapel of ease, built in 1838. Went out of use shortly afterwards after the tenants were removed during the improvements.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL OF EASE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Church erected 1838. Disused soon after when the tenants of the small farms, now under sheep, were removed.
Name Book 1873. <1>
Marked as a Chapel of Ease on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, and just as 'Church' on the 2nd edition. <2><3>
Church survives in roofed condition. It sits within its own enclosure wall (partly tumbled). Large metal doors on the E gable suggest usage for agricultural storage. Site visit photographs taken by Andrew Puls. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 135.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0488 5870 (25m by 15m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7729 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.