MHG9531 - Clais Rath Fhinn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
NC92SE 1 988 200.
(A: NC 98862003, B: NC 98812006 and C: NC 98882009) Enclosures (NR)
OS 6"map, (1963)
A settlement of three hut-circles (A-C) accompanied by a few field clearance heaps and field banks, lying on a SE- facing slope.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
'A' has originated as a 'simple' oval hut, measuring 12.1m by 8.7m within an earth and stone bank 0.4m high and spread to 2.6m, and having an entrance in the SE on the line of the longer axis. Inside the hut and partially overlaying the SE wall arc is a secondary circular stone hut of Kilphedir type II (4), 7.3m diameter within a wall of main width 1.1m An entrance passage, splayed and extending into the entrance of the original hut, is 2.4m long 0.9m to 1.2m wide and is flanked by large stones. The remains of a stone wall spring from the back of the secondary structure, and runs for a distance of about 20.0m passing through the wall of the original hut. A slight earth and stone bank springs from the east side of the latter turning sharply to the SE after a few metres.
'B' has been a 'simple' hut some 10.0m diameter internally but only a slight turf bank 0.1m high and 1.7m wide is now visible, with a red grit boulder standing in the east side. An entrance may be indicated by a slight depression in the south.
'C' is a 'simple' hut, slightly scooped out of the slope in the NW and measuring 10.5m by 8.5m internally. A wall width of 2.0m is estimated at a 1.0m wide entrance in the SE on the line of the longer dimension; elsewhere the wall is spread to 1.5m.
Using the Kilphedir excavation as an analogy (H Fairhurst and D B Taylor 1974) the sequence of occupation for this site would appear to be a settlement of three 'simple' huts, with associated field clearance heaps, dating about 500 BC, followed by a re-occupation and reconstruction of a single hut of about 130 BC with associated field banks.
Visited by OS (W D J) 8 December 1976
Details as in previous report. The associated agriculture is heavily masked by peat-silting and cultivation plots are not discernible. Visited by OS (J M) 8 December 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 117, No. 333 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Fairhurst, H and Taylor, D B, 1974, A hut-circle settlement at Kilphedir, Sutherland, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 1970-71) (Text/Publication/Article). SHG49.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 117, No. 333.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fairhurst, H and Taylor, D B. 1974. A hut-circle settlement at Kilphedir, Sutherland, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 1970-71). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. 65-99.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9884 2007 (147m by 115m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2841 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2841 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7149 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)